Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: /etc/rc, /etc/init.d/*, ...
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/02/1999 08:04:06
> Eduardo E. Horvath writes:
> > I like it.  One comment though:
> >
> > Can the scripts in `/etc/init.d' be invoked directly, as in
> > `/etc/init.d/nfs stop'?  This is not clear as the example scripts do
> > not seem to be directly executable.
>
> Yes, you can invoke them directly.  The scripts are installed executable.

If you execute one of these scripts in `/etc/init.d' does it just
execute that script or do a dependency check and properly invoke other
dependent scripts?  Or to word it another way, is there a provision to
bring the system to an arbitrary boot configuration level without
resorting to pattern matches on `/etc/rc?.d'?

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@netbsd.org
	"I need to find a pithy new quote." -- me