Subject: Re: take 2; which way should we go for /etc/rc...
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/02/1999 11:09:23
>Not so obvious as all that.  I've known people who've added S100foo and
>S101bar scripts and then beat their brains out trying to figure out why
>they were running so bloody early in startup.

been there.  seen that.  :)

>If you do it in "sort +0.1n" order you'll surprise a lot fewer newbies
>(but possibly some already-clued admins).  You'll also have to have
>something on the root filesystem that can do that sort.

i don't see how you could surprise some "already clued admins", unless
you assert that they were banking on the fact that S10 goes (ascii
sorts) after S100, S101, and S102...kinda like using the line numbers
10, 20, 30, etc. in your basic program all those years ago, so that
you didn't need to renumber *everything* to add a line in between here
and there.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|