Subject: Re: take2...
To: None <>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/02/1999 10:58:49
> 5. The old /etc/rc style.  Dispense with it.  It's nothing but a
>    speed hack, really,

Not at all.  It's also an immense boon to humans that have to have
anything to do with the boot process.  I've used SysV-style split-apart
boot scripts and I've used BSD-style monolithic boot scripts, and for
human frobbing, the BSD style is far easier.  (Recently the BSD style
seems to be shattering; witness our /etc/netstart and SunOS
/etc/rc.boot.  Every such split makes it that much harder for me to
figure out what I want to do and where.)

Sure, it's harder for mechanical frobbing.  Not all systems consider
ease of mechanical access more important than ease of human access.

					der Mouse