Subject: Re: sccsid's and rcsid's
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/27/1999 07:56:58
Michael Graff writes:
> Luke Mewburn <lukem@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au> writes:
> > Sounds like a sensible idea, but it may pay to wait until after 1.5?
>
> I'm certain it could, but since there is no functional change, I don't
> see why it has to.  Plus, I've already done it to libc.  :)

Yeah, except that you touch all of the kernel files. I suppose it's
not that much of an issue. (Or are you shooting to have your name in
as many of the $Id$ strings as possible? :) :) :

> > This could also be done as part of a revised (ANSI-fied) KNF;
> > assuming that such a change was acceptable to the majority of
> > developers. I have a proposal on this I've been intending to
> > float for a while; I really should get around to doing it ;-)
>
> My alternate proposal would be to just kill the sccsid lines
> entirely, or make them comments.

Making them comments along the lines of
	/* originally from: @(#)rc 8.2 (Berkeley) 3/17/94 */
is probably the best approach, since I don't think we'd ever really
want to include these strings in a NetBSD kernel (or userland for that
matter).