Subject: Re: portmap=no, nfs_{client,server}=yes
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/23/1999 01:27:01
der Mouse  <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> writes:

> I'd like to see some kind of notification when portmap is started
> despite portmap=NO; indeed, I'd much rather see a warning but see
> portmap *not* started.  (If I tell it portmap=NO I damn well expect
> that portmap will not be started!  It's offensive (and usually wrong)
> for software to think it knows better than I do what I want running on
> my machines.)

Once upon a time, there was the idea of having a `MAYBE' option, which
would enable the daemon only if it was required by some other daemon.
(E.g. `lockd' would generally be set to either `MAYBE' or `NO', so it
would never be started if the system wasn't either a NFS server or
client.)

Perhaps this idea could be resurrected...