Subject: Re: emul/aout, compat/aout [was: Re: Upcoming releases]
To: None <>
From: Christos Zoulas <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/13/1999 00:21:06
In article <>,
Bill Studenmund <> wrote:
>On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>> On Nov 12,  2:44pm, (Bill Studenmund) wrote:
>> -- Subject: re: emul/aout, compat/aout [was: Re: Upcoming releases]
>> I prefer the idea of a separate subtree, because it is easier to clean-up.
>> But it does not really matter.
>What's the concensus? Is there one? Prior art?

I don't know. I was thinking about separate trees to make it easier
for people who don't have enough disk space, and also to provide a
good set of libraries. [base + x] I don't care either way though.

>> I meant having two builds for a.out
>You mean an aout-still-native and an aout-after-elf versions? Hmmm.
>At least a given architecture would only support one at a time..

Right. I suppose that can be accomplished with ifdefs, or just enable the
aout search for everyone.

>One of the other reasons for stiring things up now is so that we can think
>about how upgrades will work with the next version, so we can do things
>like packages (closer to) right.

Sounds fine!