Subject: Re: usage() function.
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/28/1999 10:53:46
On Thu, Oct 28, 1999 at 10:24:41AM +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> If you really want something that saves work, you'll want something built
> into getopt(), such that it prints the help text, auto-generated from the
> getopt argument, and reprompts for them until interupted (if interactive).
> Better yet, with type-checking, like in AmigaOS 2.x and later.

Doesn't need to be autogenerated, I have long used an array of text
strings as usage-help, with the first line serving as the heading as
well as the one-line description.

I like the idea of incorporating it all in a getopt()-style function.  In
such case, one needs to make it practical for the new getopt() thing to
extract the options from the description, perhaps even the validation
criteria (regexps?).

++L