Subject: Re: /usr/include/zconf.h uses HAVE_UNISTD_H
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/14/1999 11:48:33
itojun@iijlab.net writes:
> 	After doing cc -E, I now believe "long" is mistakingly used for file
> 	offset, instead of off_t, like return value and argument for gzseek().
> 	I'd like to propose the following fix.
> 	Should I increase shlib minor, or major, for this? (I suspect major)

Major, and, worse yet, the shared library major number of every shared
library in the world that depends on it.

Of course, you can't do this, since you can't even know what libraries
those are.  (I'd at least be sure to check the X libraries, though,
and make _sure_ current-users knows, and make sure than an entry goes
into some document that people upgrading their systems are likely to
see...)

A better solution might be to version the couple of interfaces in libz
that use z_off_t.  There are only two, and the wrapper functions
should be trivial, and that way there wouldn't be any pain for users
of the shared libaries...  (actually, i think there could still be
pain, if shared libs built to use libz used z_off_t in any of _their_
public interfaces...)

cgd