Subject: Re: Type for wide characters
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/05/1999 18:32:28
>>   Thus it would be useful to know what type to use for
>> wchar_t, so that I can make attr_t the same.  I've had a request to make it
>> a fixed width type, so how about u_int32_t?
>Yes. Go with this. There is an ISO character set standard (eclipsed by
>unicode, thankfully) which uses 4-byte characters.

	While I agree with u_int32_t, please do not hardcode interpretation
	of wchar_t into Unicode (glibc does this and I do't like it).
	There are many character sets/encodings that does not fit well into
	Unicode.  Also, with runelocale library (which is in 4.4BSD
	distribution I believe) we do not need to hardcode internal
	representation.

	We (a group of Japanese guys) have some diffs to make runelocale
	library handle stateful multibyte encoding, and hoping to import
	those into *BSD.

itojun