Subject: Re: Type for wide characters
To: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/02/1999 09:54:17
>> Probably, int (32bit on both ILP32 and LP64 systems) for wchat_t/attr_t,
>> and long long for chtype.
>Apologies, I should have added a few more definitions to my previous mail.
>chtype only needs to handle `normal' characters plus their attributes.  For
>wide characters, the characters (wchar_t) are held separately from their
>attributes (attr_t).  This is why I thought int for all three types.

	(I have no access to wchar_t capable libcurses standard docs, so
	correct me if I'm wrong)
	Could you please let me know about more detail?  wchar_t is for
	handling both wide chars and normal (ASCII) chars in a uniform manner.
	Therefore, it makes more sense to me if you always use wchar_t and
	attr_t separated.

	Of course, for characters with width-on-screen bigger than normal
	ASCII chars, you will need "offset on screen" field in backing store
	structure.  You may want to fill the field with 0 for normal (ASCII)
	characters.

itojun