Subject: Re: Type for wide characters
To: None <>
From: Noriyuki Soda <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/01/1999 21:51:21
> Noriyuki Soda wrote:
> > Probably, int (32bit on both ILP32 and LP64 systems) for wchat_t/attr_t,
> > and long long for chtype.
> Apologies, I should have added a few more definitions to my previous mail.
> chtype only needs to handle `normal' characters plus their attributes.  For
> wide characters, the characters (wchar_t) are held separately from their
> attributes (attr_t).  This is why I thought int for all three types.

Oh, I see. I had to be more careful.
Since chtype can be used for only single byte character, I agree that
both chtype and attr_t can be int.

The followings are types used in commercial unices.
These all unices use 32bit wchar_t, and support wchar_t curses API
like addnwstr.

			chtype			attr_t
Solaris 2.6		32bit: unsigned long	(not defined)
Solaris 2.6:/usr/xpg4	32bit: unsigned long	16bit: unsigned short
HP-UX 10.20		32bit: unsinged int	32bit: long
Digital UNIX V4.0E	64bit: unsigned long	64bit: unsigned long