Subject: Type for wide characters
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/01/1999 12:22:58
I'm in the process of making our libcurses meet SUS2.  This means that it
needs to be able to handle wide characters at some point.  It would be
useful if the types used for chtype and attr_t were the same and matched
the type used for wchar_t (because of the way the libcurses internals work).
Does anyone have any thoughts about what this type should be?  chtype needs
to be 31 bits (or larger) to repesent an 8 or 16 bit character and 15 bits
of attributes.

I'm thinking of using int for both chtype and attr_t.  Is there any reason
why wchar_t shouldn't be an int?  I don't have any strong feelings (long or
u_int32_t would be fine too).  Thoughts?

Thanks,

                         Of course it runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/