Subject: Re: core dump filename format
To: None <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/11/1999 19:23:07

    Lucio> As for trying to find a core dump, why doesn't the message "core dumped"
    Lucio> get extended to include the location of the output file anyway?  This
    Lucio> could be optional, depending on whether the default had been changed, but
    Lucio> I see little reason not to include it in all instances.

  I believe that this is printed by the shell, which may not be able to get
this information if the subprocess has changed it's location. It can only
know what the default was that it passed to the shell.
  Although, I supposed that yet another variation of wait(2) could return
information as well. That might be useful in general to init and friends to
know this information.

]      Out and about in Ottawa.    hmmm... beer.                |  firewalls  [