Subject: Re: core dump filename format
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/11/1999 07:41:13
On Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 10:45:22AM -0700, Gandhi woulda smacked you wrote:

> Has anyone given any thought to these files not being named something
> that resembles [^s]*core*?  What happens to the nightly system check
> that goes out and looks for core files?  You want to run 'file' on
> every single file on your disk and have it report back on that?  That's
> ludicrous.

I agree that the *.core format is a convenient one, and consequently is
a useful default, but appending .core to user-selected strings by default
is more restrictive than the opposite: I can always do that by choice.

As for trying to find a core dump, why doesn't the message "core dumped"
get extended to include the location of the output file anyway?  This
could be optional, depending on whether the default had been changed, but
I see little reason not to include it in all instances.

++L