Subject: Re: core dump filename format
To: Manuel Bouyer <>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/08/1999 12:01:31
Manuel Bouyer <> writes:
> I don't think there are per-process sysctl variables (yet).

In fact there's the SYSCTL_KERN/KERN_PROC hierarchy, but it's meant
for something different (getting eproc structs).  however, it, or the
choices it provides, could probably be used as a model for something
like what's desired here...

Maybe something like:

Or i could see flipping it around:

so you could easily show multiple procs' complete sets of values at
once in a clean way.  I dunno, this may or may not be a good idea.  8-)

IIRC, at least one system (Compaq Tru64 UNIX (formerly Digital UNIX
(formerly DEC OSF/1))) provides a syscall to do the alignment
attribute setting, but i forget what it is.  I'd guess solaris might
do something similar for sparc.

Chris Demetriou - -