Subject: Re: core dump filename format
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/08/1999 00:46:55
    Date:        Tue, 7 Sep 1999 15:12:43 +0200
    From:        Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>

  | Comments ? I'm planning to start coding on this soon, shouldn't require
  | much work.

This is a cute idea, and all that, and is certainly implementable, but
is it really a good idea?   Is there any real demand for it?

Further, you have just spent some time to fix the kernel so random root
processes can't be fooled into dumping core in "bad" places - now there's
this proposal to add a new inherited attribute which will allow people to
arrange for core files from processes creates sometime much later to
get dropped in all kinds of weird locations.   New inherited properties
need to be considered very carefully, because if they're even slightly
open to abuse, then someone later has to race around and find all the
places that they can be abused, and find a method for avoiding the
possibility for harm.

I think I'd just leave things as they are now - or if you like, make a per
user (per process I mean of course) boolean for the name.core or just core
choice, so people can choose which they prefer (I always preferred just
core - it is easier to clean up).  That would seem safe enough.   But
being able to route core files to random stray destinations and names seems
a bit risky to me.

kre