Subject: Re: core dump filename format
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/07/1999 22:31:30
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> writes:
> As this attribute is really close to process limits, I plan to extend
> getrlimit/setrlimit with a new resource type (Otherwise a new syscall would
> need to be created for this purpose). They would now take a void * parameter,
> which would be a struct rlimit * or char *, depending on the resource type.
> In the kernel this attribute would be added to "struct plimit".
>
> Then each shell will be updated to allow users to set this new "limit".

This, doesn't seem to be a reasonable use of the rlimit syscalls.

how is this close to process limits?  Yes, they control e.g. core dump
size, but that's about it.

There are other uses for a more general mechanism to set inherited
process attributes.  (in particular, i'm thinking of alignment
handling for ports that care about alignment.)

cgd