Subject: Re: core dump filename format
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/07/1999 17:26:40
On Tue, Sep 07, 1999 at 04:19:08PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > The default value would be %s.core, but can be changed at runtime by a sysctl.
>                              ^^
> %n.core, probably

Yes, although %s is maybe better, after all :) (see my anserw to
Jaromir)

> > Absolute path are allowed, as something like: "/var/core/%u/%n.core"
> > kern.shortcorename would disappear, as the same thing can be achieved
> > with kern.corename="core".
> >
> > As this attribute is really close to process limits, I plan to extend
> > getrlimit/setrlimit with a new resource type (Otherwise a new syscall would
> > need to be created for this purpose). They would now take a void * parameter,
> > which would be a struct rlimit * or char *, depending on the resource type.
> > In the kernel this attribute would be added to "struct plimit".
> >
> > Then each shell will be updated to allow users to set this new "limit".
>
> I don't understand what that new "limit" should be used for. Can you
> please explain? Frontend to set the corefile-name?

'limit corename /var/tmp/%u/%n.core' for example (in csh :)
As this has the same semantics as limits, especially for inheritance
(but gets a char * instead of 2 integers) it seems natural to put it at the
same place and use the same syscall, isn't it ?