Subject: Re: New pppd - PAP-authentication by default?
To: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/27/1999 09:33:55
On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Bjoern Labitzke wrote:

> Hello...
>
> I just discovered (by finally logging the pppd debug info) that the new
> pppd seems to require PAP authentication of the called peer by default. Is
> this wanted behaviour? It just got me wondering, because my connection
> refused for two days to come up with seemingly no reason until I found that
> the server I am calling is answering pppds PAP-request with "" and "" as
> user name and password.

>From the README file from the pppd 2.3.9 distribution:

  * The default behaviour of pppd is now to let a peer which has not
    authenticated itself (e.g. your ISP) use any IP address to which the
    system does not already have a route.  (This is currently only
    supported under Linux, Solaris and Digital Unix; on the other
    systems, the peer must now authenticate itself unless the noauth
    option is used.)

Regards,

Brian

| Brian Stark                       | Internet : bstark@siemens-psc.com |
| Siemens PT&D, LLC                 | Voice    : +1 612 536-4697        |
| Power Systems Control Division    | Fax      : +1 612 536-4919        |
| 7225 Northland Drive, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota 55428   USA            |