Subject: Re: Need some advice regarding portable user IDs
To: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/24/1999 15:27:16
On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 03:15:09PM +0200, Wolfgang Solfrank wrote:
> Hmm, I think the appropriate thing to do is some equivalent of "panic"ing,
> but only for the filesystem in question.  I.e. something like forcibly
> unmounting that filesystem (but maybe continue to return EIO on access to
> anything below the mountpoint?).  Whether to flush dirty buffers for the
> filesystem in question out or not, I'm not sure about either.

I'm not sure. I think if this happens on a non-removable hard drive, a
panic is the rigth thing to do. You'll get a core dump, and it's not
necesserely a good thing to let a server operate without all it's filesystems.
On my shell server, if /var gets corrupted, I'm sure I prefer to get a panic
instead of letting it run without accounting.