Subject: Re: Need some advice regarding portable user IDs
To: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/18/1999 13:01:30
On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Brian C. Grayson wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 07:17:45PM -0700, Wilfredo Sanchez wrote:
> >   A group of us at Apple are trying to figure out how to handle
> > situations where a filesystem with "foreign" user ID's are present.
>
>   Have you looked at mount_umap(8)?  I (naively) think it would
> solve most of your concerns.

I don't think so. umap is for translating credentials between domains. I
think what Fred wants to do is different, and that is to ignore the
credentials on the system.

Fred, right now what happens in MacOS when I take a disk which has sharing
credentials set up, and hook it into another machine? How are the
credentials handled there?

Also, one of the problems which has been brought up in the thread is that
umap needs to know what credentials to translate to. For that, we'd need
to stash the credentails on the drive.

Take care,

Bill