Subject: Re: fparseln() in libutil?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/02/1999 20:45:52
> A lot of things in libutil could well have arguments for going in libc, but
> why bloat libc further with non-standards-specified calls?

it's not clear to me that this is a sane argument.

(1) it's not much space, and wouldn't even impact statically linked
binaries unless they use the calls (in which case they've already got
the functions).

(2) the incremental delta to libc's .a/.so size is trivial.

(3) if we're going to start arguing this now, why didn't we start
arguing it a week ago or a month or 6 months ago?  how many times this
year has something not specified by a standard been added to libc?
how many more times will it happen?

cgd