Subject: Re: Swap overcommit (was Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2))
To: Sean Witham <sean.witham@asa.co.uk>
From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/16/1999 09:03:10
:
:For those who wish to develop code for safety related systems that is
:not good enough. They have to prove that all code can handle the
:degradation
:of resources gracefully. Such code relies on guaranteed memory
:allocations
:or in the very least warnings of memory shortage and prioritized
:allocations.
:So the least important sub-systems die first.
:
:--Sean

    I'm sorry, but when you write code for a safety related system you
    do not dynamically allocate memory at all.  It's all essentially static.
    There is no issue with the memory resource.  Besides, none of the BSD's are
    certified for any of that stuff that I know of.

    What's next:  A space shot?  These what-if scenarios are getting
    ridiculous.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>