Subject: Re: Swap overcommit (was Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2))
To: Daniel C. Sobral <>
From: Garance A Drosihn <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/14/1999 13:17:14
At 12:20 AM +0900 7/15/99, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> In which case the program that consumed all memory will be killed.
> The program killed is +NOT+ the one demanding memory, it's the one
> with most of it.

But that isn't always the best process to have killed off...

One of my main freebsd machines is mainly here to run one
process, which is a pretty good-sized process (>40meg).  If
I did get into a memory-shortage problem, I do *not* want
that process killed, I'd want some other processes killed.

It would be nice to have a way to indicate that, a la SIGDANGER.

Garance Alistair Drosehn           =
Senior Systems Programmer          or
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute