Subject: Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2)
To: Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/14/1999 09:04:13
	Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> said:

>     ... a situation which will never occur if you are managing the memory
>     through your own custom library.  Therefore not relevant.

Hm. It's misunderstanding.

I don't agree with you about the following point.
Thus, the situation might happen.

>    Give me a shell and I can crash any machine.  If you are assuming
>    hostile users, you cannot assume that your magic overcommit protection
>    will save your server.  Saying that the kernel and application behave
>    properly is a cop-out, because it's virtually impossible to guarentee
>    that for every situation.  The chance of a user blowing up the server
>    by finding a bug or a hole somewhere is much, much greater then the chance
>    of a user running the system out of swap.

If you are trying to say that it is easier to crash FreeBSD than
the system out of swap. You might be wrong.

Memory consumption is quite easy, almost every programmer can do it
with normal user privilege.
If there is a bug which crashes FreeBSD and which is easier to write
than memory consumption, it is better to fix the bug.
--
soda