Subject: Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2)
To: Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/14/1999 06:39:00
	Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> said:

> > That's wrong.
> > On such systems, critical server has a chance to save it's data to
> > filesystem.
> > On 4.4BSD derived systems, it cannot be guaranteed.

>     You are assuming that the situation actually occurs.  In real life,
>     it will not occur unless the critical server is running away with
>     memory.

>     I have never, ever run one of BEST's servers out of swap.  It has never
>     been an issue.

Running out of swap can be easily done by normal user privilege.
Non-overcommiting system can run important application on the system
which has a normal user, because it never lose critical data, even if
a user on the system make a mistake. (The application might stop,
but it never lose data.)

4.4BSD derived system cannot do this, and have to use different
machine for such applications.

>     And you also haven't bothered to address my other point:  In order to
>     configure a system that guarentees backing store, you need to configure
>     that system with 8x or more swap then you would a normal
>     system.

8x or more?
That's wrong. It depends.
--