Subject: Swap overcommit (was Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2))
To: Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
From: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/13/1999 19:05:29
> :That's wrong.
> :The application might be killed by SIGKILL on current FreeBSD
> :implementation, when the system becomes swap shortage.
> :--
> :soda
>
>     ... a situation which will never occur if you are managing the memory
>     through your own custom library.  Therefore not relevant.

That's a strawman, if not a complete non-sequitur.  Having my
1000-hour simulation get the axe because someone accidentally(?) ran a
non-blessed program on the machine that doesn't happen to use the
`[my] own custom library' is simply unacceptable.  And this is far
from a hypothetical situation.

Overcommit does not give applications the *choice* of dealing
gracefully, because they don't know they're screwed until it's too
late.