Subject: Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2)
To: Neil A. Carson <>
From: Matthew Dillon <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/13/1999 15:50:05
:On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:>     This is an excellent example of a solution.  Another example would be
:>     to implement your own memory management subsystem... that is, your own
:>     shared library which keeps track of memory allocations on a global
:>     basis.  I could do one in about an hour.  One simply mmap()'s a 4K
:Yeah, but the kernel had to be changed in a number of places to be able to
:do it properly :-)

    I can think of several ways to do it that do not require changes to
    the kernel.  The most obvious way is to simply use SysV-shared memory
    calls to manage memory.

					Matthew Dillon