Subject: Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2)
To: Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/13/1999 14:10:13
On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:59:25 -0700 (PDT)
 Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:

 >     We could have the ability to mark processes as being more or less
 >     preferable as kill candidates.  I'm not sure I really care anymore,
 >     though... there is so much disk space available now that it is fairly
 >     difficult to run the system out of swap space.  I don't think I've
 >     run any of my personal systems out of swap space for at least a year
 >     now!  Usually the biggest process is the one responsible (note: MFS
 >     processes do not count, and they are immune from being killed).

...I suppose it depends on what market you're going for, too.  Some
systems (not even necessarily OLD systems, but maybe modern, embedded
ones, too) don't always have the option of having "so much disk space
available".

Seems like you want your operating system to behave the `correct' way
depending on the environment in which it's being used.