Subject: Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2)
To: Brian F. Feldman <green@FreeBSD.ORG>
From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/13/1999 11:59:25
:But I have a valid point: can we do something better than posting a SIGKILL
:to the largest process?
:
: Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
: green@FreeBSD.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \

    We could have the ability to mark processes as being more or less
    preferable as kill candidates.  I'm not sure I really care anymore,
    though... there is so much disk space available now that it is fairly
    difficult to run the system out of swap space.  I don't think I've
    run any of my personal systems out of swap space for at least a year
    now!  Usually the biggest process is the one responsible (note: MFS
    processes do not count, and they are immune from being killed).

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>