Subject: Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2)
To: Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
From: Jamie Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/07/1999 15:35:19
On 7 Jul 1999, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> BTW, I assume you've read this:
>
>    <URL:http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xcu/grep.html>

Of course, my copy of the printout is all marked up.  :)

> I see you switched to using extended regexps by default, and made -E a
> no-op; this breaks the ports collection, so I changed it back.

The FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD manpage for grep says this:

	Grep understands two different versions of regular expression
	syntax: ``basic''  and  ``extended.''   In  GNU grep, there  is
	no  difference in available functionality using either syntax.

Is this inaccurate or am I reading it wrong?

> Sort your switch cases.

> Don't use err() indiscriminately after a malloc() failure; malloc()
> doesn't set errno.

Shouldn't malloc be fixed?  :)