Subject: Re: interface to utmp file.
To: None <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/20/1999 14:45:40
[ On Thursday, May 20, 1999 at 23:33:20 (+1000), Darren Reed wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: interface to utmp file.
> In some email I received from Andrew Doran, sie wrote:
> > Check libutil... AFAIR, SunOS, SCO and maybe NeXT have a getutent()
> > function.
> Not in libutil.

The Single UNIX  Specification, Version 2, has migrated to <utmpx.h>,
and defines: endutxent, getutxent, getutxid, getutxline, pututxline,
setutxent.  These could be implemented on top of utmp(5), but I think it
would be better to migrate the "binary" format to one that's also

Unfortunately it doesn't define a function to set the filename for an
alternate user accounting database, a feature also missing from the
getpent() family (but not missing on SunOS-5, IRRC).

Migrating NetBSD to <utmpx.h> might also mitigate some of the problems
with UT_NAMESIZE limits mentioned recently in a couple of PRs.

							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <>; Secrets of the Weird <>