Subject: Re: CVS commit: src (identd -L)
To: Warner Losh <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/19/1999 17:43:01
On Wed, 19 May 1999, Warner Losh wrote:

: : The cookie from *my* ident server is intended to help *me* determine
: : which of my users did something naughty with your service.  That's it.
: : That's all that the ident protocol is useful for.
: Unless, of course, this naughty user broke root first, or was able to
: break root on a machine that was able to send the response to the
: ident request faster than your identd responded...

Yeah, but if the guy broke root on my machine, I have much bigger problems
than skript kiddiez attacking other hosts.

That said, identd has come in handy for precisely the reason above several

-- Todd Vierling (Personal; Bus.