Subject: Re: CVS commit: src (identd -L)
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/19/1999 12:53:00
In message <v04020a2db3683b112604@[209.157.85.34]> "Erik E. Fair" writes:
: Speaking as a security-guy, I don't think we should enable identd by
: default. It s a nearly completely useless PoS. The original protocol author
: disavowed this work years ago as a mistaken gedankenexperiment, and the
: current ... "promoter" seemingly has never heard of IBM PC's or Macintoshes
: wherein the system administrator and the user are one in the same and thus
: the information provided is not even vaguely trustworthy.

That's why I wrote warm-fuzzy :-).

It can be good on machines that you totally control, on networks you
totally control and know that no machines have been cracked.  Other
than that relatively limited environment, you are at risk.

Warner