Subject: Re: CVS commit: src (identd -L)
To: Jim Wise <jwise@draga.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/18/1999 21:34:20
>Not necessarily.  This is the behavior if you start identd with `wait'
>in inetd.conf, and use the `-w' flag.  identd can also be run with
>`nowait' if it is started without `-w' or with the `-i' flag.  From the
>man page:
>
>       The  -i  flag,  which  is the default mode, should be used
>       when starting the daemon  from  inetd  with  the  "nowait"
>       option  in the /etc/inetd.conf file. Use of this mode will
>       make inetd start one identd  daemon  for  each  connection
>       request.

well...there is always this, but a lot of people don't usually go that
far into hacking on their inetd.conf files.  they comment stuff out,
they uncomment stuff, they might even add stuff (or insert tcpd in the
right places), but they usually don't change stuff.

>There is a strong argument that the (commented out) identd line in
>src/etc/inetd.conf should use `nowait' -- if no one objects, I'll change
>it.

i'll second that.  but i'm still not gonna use it.  :)

>>   #!/usr/local/bin/perl
>>   ($_=<>);
>>   ($mine,$your)=(/(\d+)/g);
>>   print("$your , $mine : USERID : UNIX :george\r\n");
>>
>>this is my identd, which runs as a "nowait" service.  the problem is,
>>of course, that it will hang if the "client" to identd doesn't say
>>anything.  :)
>
>Yup.  Also, it's not clear to me that the perl interpreter is any
>lighter weight than identd -L's fast path, when identd is started
>nowait.  Same goal - different way of getting there.  :)

oh...i'm sure there's a lot more overhead, but this was good for me in
a pinch where i needed to "provide" the info to someone but didn't
want to actually give them the info.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|