Subject: Re: GAWK
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/18/1999 15:44:41
[ On Tuesday, May 18, 1999 at 17:58:59 (GMT), Christos Zoulas wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: GAWK
>
> If we are talking about the "original" awk and not nawk, I'd say
> flattly no! The world will break. If we are talking about nawk,
> someone should compare the features, source quality, and maintainance
> status between it and the other public domain implementation and
> make an educated decision.
>
> I'd vote to move gawk to packages, and put in a public domain one.

There's no true public domain awk that's anywhere near modern enough to
use.

Mawk is GPL, and NAWK is coypright Lucent.

I've been using either mawk or nawk as /usr/bin/awk on several systems
and the only thing I've had to fix were some calls in pkgsrc/mk/* (which
I've submitted as PRs that I think have already been committed).

I'm not aware of any other awk code in the distribution that breaks.

BTW, both mawk and nawk run circles around gawk-2.15, though I hear
gawk-3 has improved performance....

--
							Greg A. Woods