Subject: Re: disklabel(8) UI (was Re: IBM DFHS-31080 SCSI drive problem)
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: None <cyber@ecst.csuchico.edu>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/17/1999 08:26:08
Simon Burge wrote:
]
] Andy Doran wrote:
]
] > Folks,
] > This was mentioned (maybe on -developers) a while back, but I've lost
] > track of the situation. Has there been any movement on dragging
] > disklabel(8) into C21 by providing a curses based interface?
]
] In the next couple of days I was going to send something to tech-install
] about making a better disklabel editor for sysinst, but also something
] that could handle multiple disks.
]
] Hopefully sysinst will get to the stage where it's a useful program on
] an installed system as well (adding new packages, (re)configuring system
] config files) - maybe it would be good enough to keep disklabel(8) and
] use sysinst for more complex tasks.  Of the top of my head, making
] something that can handle multiple disks as a standalone program seems
] like overkill and would probably make integration with sysinst harder,
] but I'm open to ideas...

Personally, i'd like to see it integrated.

Also, It would be very useful if sysinst was a library that staticly
linking with a stub main.  Then, those of us who are planning on
writing a graphics based installer this summer wont have to reinvent
the wheel.  [#-)

-=erik.

--
Hack the Media.                                       Life is an illusion.