Subject: Re: A solution for termcap lossage?
To: None <tech-misc@netbsd.org,>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/27/1999 17:29:38
[ On Tuesday, April 27, 1999 at 18:54:39 (+0930), Brett Lymn wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: A solution for termcap lossage?
>
> Accepted but Mr. Woods was not originally talking about ncurses in
> this case - he was talking about a statically linked Sun binary.  He
> has more or less said what I had expected, there is no real
> compatiability between vendors so a common terminfo database cannot be
> done by basing it on, say, Sun's version.

Well, given that ncurses terminfo is compatible with the original SysV
implementation (both the original, and newer SysVr4 version, if I
understand correctly), and given that the SunOS terminfo files didn't
diverge from the original SysV implementation either, I'd say that at
least in the case I was talking about there'd be full compatability.  I
thought I'd mentioned this and/or that it was obvious, but I guess
not. ;-)

Only OSF/1, AIX, and HP-UX are known to be different (there may be a few
other rare cases too, but I don't know about them, and the ncurses
documentation only alludes to them), and at least in the case of HP-UX
it would seem as if ncurses is usable with the native database.

--
							Greg A. Woods