Subject: Re: negative user-ids and interoperability.
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org (NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/27/1999 17:51:56
On Mon, 26 Apr 1999 17:52:11 -0400 (EDT)  Greg A. Woods wrote:

> The Single UNIX Specification, Version 2 (available online at
> <URL:http://www.rdg.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/>) which is a damn
> sight better than UNIX 98 as far as industry standards go

They're the same thing.

From http://www.unix-systems.org/unix98.html:

    UNIX Бо 98 - the latest version of the Single UNIX Specification
                integrating the industry's Open Systems standards.

Follow that to the download page at

       http://www.unix-systems.org/online.html

and what you get is the single UNIX specification version 2.  Why they
adopted a naming scheme from a company whose ambition is to kill
anything UNIX (or even Unix :-) is a puzzle I haven't attempted to
solve.

Regards,

Giles