Subject: Re: rc.shutdown isn't enough.
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/26/1999 08:14:03
Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com> writes:
> And FWIW, "single user mode" is more or less defined to be "/ mounted ro,
> all other fs's unmounted", which is contrary to the original request of
> leaving filesystems mounted when descending to single user mode.

I think that's probably "less defined."

it's defined that way when booting to single-user mode from <not
running>, but i don't think i've ever seen a BSD system that unmounted
file systems when going from multi-user to single-user mode...

If you have any counterexamples, that's interesting.  if you have any
"BSD standard-ish" document that says something about it, i'd probably
drop dead of shock.  8-)

cgd