Subject: Re: A solution for termcap lossage?
To: None <tech-misc@netbsd.org, tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/24/1999 22:29:27
According to Greg A. Woods:

>There has been a totally free (i.e. public domain) termlib/termcap
>library that can read either terminfo files or termcap entries for quite
>a few years now.  An adapted version of this code is included in
>ncurses to convert entries from termcap to terminfo.

You know how awkwardly free software can sit within the NetBSD
copyright framework.  It would be better if we improve what we have
under the current license.

>Personally I'd like to see NetBSD just switch to ncurses-4 and be done
>with it.  Ncurses-1 is a dead-end and our current curses sucks big time
>(and has also been declared a dead-end).

Our curses is not dead.  It has just had somewhat of a face lift and
will get more.

>  FYI:  "Beginning with release
>4.2, ncurses is distributed under an MIT-style license."  If this is
>already being done now behind the scenes, whomever is doing it should
>let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

AFAIK ncurses integration is on hold.  Changes to our curses has made
the need for ncurses abate somewhat.

>ordering are much more difficult issues to avoid.  Any storage scheme is
>*possible* with terminfo -- it's just one heck of a lot simpler to
>maintain binary compatability if you have to run third-party binaries
>that might have been statically compiled with someone else's
>implementation.

That would be something that can be taken care of in the set up of the
emulation environment - I don't see that our terminfo need be limited
by this consideration at all.