Subject: Re: ftp passive mode
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/06/1999 11:04:53
>Like it or not, this happens in an unfortunately increasing rate.  Remember
>that I only recently added a `deny PASV' option to our own ftpd(1), and
>wu-ftpd doesn't have such at all, AFAIK.

I have to agree with Luke; returning a positive error code from PASV
is mega-bozo and I don't think it should be worked around.

But I don't think this happens _that_ often.  I use passive-mode ftp all
the time (because my default ftp is Kerberos ftp) and I can't recall seeing
any time where the ftp failed because passive was claimed to be supported
when it really wasn't.  I have seen sites where passive-mode ftp performs
very very poorly and I don't know why, but it still works.

--Ken