Subject: Re: ftp passive mode
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/05/1999 23:23:40
On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Andrew Brown wrote:

: >425 Can't build data connection: No route to host.
: >
: >Active mode works fine. If someone wants to look at our ftp client and fix
: >this case ...
:
: in case i missed it somewhere...what's the reason for ftp using
: passive mode by default now?  it's not wrong...it's just disarming (as
: in, counter to the last ten years of my experience using ftp).

Because it's more `secure', and firewalls are happy with it.

However, it is a bug in that our ftp is supposed to `automatically' fall
back to active mode by default.  However, it is not doing it in the case
above because the PASV command was successful, yet the actual transfer
attempt resulted in an error.  This should be fixed.