Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Julian Assange <proff@iq.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/27/1999 23:02:31
"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:

> Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:
> >  > I found myself asking the same question; specifically in regards to why
> >  > someone in RE was squeezing this into the tree seemingly hours before
> >  > a cutoff.   More specifically since I remember previous discussion on
> >  > it was contraversial and no one was able to agree on much of anything.
> >
> > It seems like this should be backed out immediately.
>
> What harm is it causing? It isn't built by default, and its in userland.
>
> Perry

If its going to go in the tree at all, it should be built by default,
along with sendmail, with /etc/mailer.conf handling any configuration
conflicts.

Obviously the base system needs a mailer of some sort, however I
wonder if either sendmail or postfix require such NetBSD specific
changes that they can't both be packages -- the user chosing which to
install during the installation phase.

The pkg system needs to be extended so that packages can `provide'
meta-dependencies. i.e postfix is a-type-of mta and sendmail is
a-type-of mta, either of which will satisfy an mta dependency.

Julian.