Subject: Re: Changing root's shell to /bin/sh
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/19/1999 02:18:24
[ On Thursday, March 18, 1999 at 22:47:04 (-0800), John Nemeth wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Changing root's shell to /bin/sh
>
>      While editing a file in /etc/rc.config.d (HP-UX), I neglected to
> quote some stuff.

Please don't try to confuse the issue.  HP-UX might claim to be related
to SysV, but nothing from AT&T ever had such a directory.

>      Pretty much every SysV implementation I've seen could easily be
> prevented from starting up (or worse, shutting down cleanly) by an
> error in one of the scripts.  SysV most definitely doesn't have an
> advantage here (neither system does).

And *BSD's mostly monolithic scripts can't?  True AT&T SysV's system
startup scheme *is* (slightly) more robust (unless one of those little
scripts goes into a loop or otherwise hangs then its failures won't
prevent an unrelated subsequent script from running).  Come on now --
let's not confuse the issue with meaningless doubletalk and
mis-information.

--
							Greg A. Woods