Subject: Re: Changing root's shell to /bin/sh
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org (NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/18/1999 20:11:35
    Greg> [ On Wednesday, March 17, 1999 at 21:09:52 (-0600), Michael
    Greg> Richardson wrote: ]
    >> Subject: Re: Changing root's shell to /bin/sh
    >>
    >> Okay, please contribute code to allow me to have multiple
    >> system(s) managers, each with a password that is useful in
    >> single user mode.  Remember that I need at least two root
    >> passwords in many situations: one for the engineer who's
    >> machine it is (and is permitted to do quite a number of
    >> things), another for the system manager who comes to fix it
    >> when the engineer occasionally screws things up. If you think
    >> letting user's have root on the desktop screws up network
    >> security, then I hope you have no PCs or Mac's on your network.

    Greg> I've seen kerberos used quite effectively to meet such
    Greg> requirements.

  Remember: the reason why these are not NIS passwords is because they
are needed to fix the machine when it breaks.

    Greg> There's also 'sudo', which if used *very* carefully offers
    Greg> even more finely grained control, but even in general seems
    Greg> to meet your requirements.

  Totally fails to authenticate anyone when booting single user.

    Greg> Again, kerberos can be your friend here....

  For users and routine maintenance, yes. For dealing with network
problems, NO.

]  Why doesn't my notebook fit on the food tray on this flight? |  firewalls  [