Subject: Re: Changing root's shell to /bin/sh
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@t.dk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/17/1999 20:31:48
I am a bit disappointed to see that the root/toor/etc. issue
is being held because of 'history'.

Now, I prefer ksh for most things, but I don't really care
which shell is used by default in the distribution.

A little consistency would be nice, however, and I think
the default setup should be quite minimal and simple.

As I see it, having [the ability to have] more than one user
profile per uid is a hack/artifact of the way the traditional
password database implementation and the world would be a
simpler place without it.

Having two root accounts is just asking for confusion.

Also, while I think /bin/sh would be more suitable as the
default root shell, a better generalization would perhaps
be to have init make a relaxed attempt at finding root's
shell from /etc/passwd and offer that when booting in
single-user mode?

To add a perhaps more useful little suggestion, how about moving
users ingres and falken below uid 100? I usually delete them,
but just as much because they are "in the way" uid-wise as
because they are superfluous.

--
Soren