Subject: Re: Changing root's shell to /bin/sh
To: dustin sallings <dustin@spy.net>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/16/1999 22:58:15
In message <Pine.NEB.4.10.9903162007500.364-100000@mobile>, dustin sallings wri
tes:
>	PAM support[0]?
>	Replacing rc with a modular system like rc.d[1]?

>[0] There was a discussion about this, don't know where it went.

Personally, I continue to *much* prefer "BSD Authentication".  We can get
source, and it has *significant* advantages.  (e.g., a non-suid program
can do a setuid authentication scheme - if you want to let it.  You don't
have to, but you *can.*)  It also comes with free support for the magic needed
to let root have a different datasize limit than other users, and some of
those users get even smaller limits, etc.

>[1] Yeah, it's SysV like, but it's *really* nice to have a clear place
>    where a start-up should start something, being able to stop it in the
>    same place, and being able to actually test a startup script without
>    rebooting.

Sympathised, but the SysV method is so ugly you'll never get anyone to go
along with it.

(This from someone who would, grudgingly, admit that the SysV method would
be preferable to what we have now, for my personal use, but I'd *love* to
see a better system.)

-s