Subject: Re: Changing root's shell to /bin/sh
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU>
From: Ask Dr. Stupid <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 03/15/1999 18:28:32
Bill Studenmund sez:
* On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
* > With the recent removal of the toor account, it is appropriate to move
* > the root login-shell from csh to /bin/sh. Reasons for it are most
* No, it's not. I believe both changes were inappropriate. We've had root
* using csh since 1993 and a toor account for that long. We shouldn't be
* changing these defaults willy-nilly. Especially as both of our *BSD
* cousins still use csh. :-)
I might say here that on BSD, root has been using csh since 19>83<!
"Yikes!" said Wile E. Coyote.
"Beep! Beep!" said the Road Runner.
"" said the SPARC, not encountering the same errors while compiling X11R5.
[ the Sun 386i was also known as the "Road Runner". ]