Subject: Re: patch to allow /etc/ld.so.conf configure directories for ELF
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/12/1999 08:59:16
On 11-Mar-99 Todd Vierling spoke unto us all:
#  Yah, *I* like rpath.  Not everyone does, or cares to learn about it, and
#  ld.so.conf doesn't *need* to do anything, if it does not exist.

I think the benefit of rpath is that users don't have to set up ld.so.conf to
install X11.  As time goes on, autoconf will start getting it right, and life
will be happy.

If you wanted a system-wide LD_LIBRARY_PATH couldn't you set it in /etc/profile?

I love rpath..  When I go back to my a.out systems.. I'm usually annoyed at
them. The alpha makes it very easy for me to set up 3-4 different environments
for my testing of a single program.

---
Tim Rightnour  -  root@garbled.net
Free Multi-Platform Operating System: http://www.netbsd.org